Monday 8 August 2011

A Strawberry Pinny

Is pinny a universal word? I don't know. Pinny is what my Granny called her apron, I guess it probably is universal. So, sewing. I am very much a novice when it comes to sewing. I have had a sewing machine for about 5 months and it has spent most of its life in a box. I bought myself a very cheap little Hyundia sewing machine (Linky), but for some reason (possibly inadequate packing) it didn't survive when we moved house in June. Even though it didn't cost much, I was fairly annoyed and went out bought myself a Brother sewing machine about 2 weeks ago, (I bought it from TJ Hughes, but since they are closing down there is no online link, sorry). There is no comparison between the 2 machines, and even a total beginner like me can tell the difference between a bit rubbish and really great.
My sewing projects are fairly small and not always successful, but I am enjoying the process of learning, and one of these days, I may even buy a pattern to follow.
At the weekend (despite the migraine), I decided to make an apron for myself. I am a 'plus' size lady, or as I prefer to say  voluptuously vintage, so often standard size aprons are too small, especially vintage ones where everyone seems to have been titchy (although that cant be true can it?).

So, tada






Fabric closeup - 100% cotton


Its a bit wobbly, its true, but I have a feeling it may be my new favorite, because there is something so very satisfying about making something for yourself, is there not?

Oh and because she was hanging around while I was taking the photo's, meet Alabama my cat.




Cheeky Girl

Love From
The Vintage Housewife


0 comments: